Response to RAAC found in some Trivallis homes in Hirwaun 

You may have heard the news about the Trivallis homes in Hirwaun that have been identified as containing RAAC. We know that you may well know people whose homes are affected and may also be worried about your own home. We are getting in touch now to give you an update about Cynon Taf homes. 

What is RAAC?  

RAAC stands for Reinforced Autoclaved Aerated Concrete. It is a lightweight material that was used as an alternative to standard concrete between the 1950s and 1990s.  

In May 2019, an alert from an independent UK body specialising in structural safety highlighted significant concerns about the structural safety of properties with RAAC. 

Since March 2023, the Welsh Government has been working closely with local authorities, and many surveys of public sector buildings, including schools, have been undertaken so that any issues can be identified, and appropriate action taken. Registered Social Landlords were also asked to assess their stock and report back to Welsh Government. 

Is there RAAC in Cynon Taf homes? 

We reported on Cynon Taf stock in September 2023. As most of our properties were built much earlier than the period when RAAC was generally used, or after it ceased to be used, to our knowledge we have no properties that contain RAAC. However, we will continue to survey any properties that were built within the timeframe and do any work necessary to ensure they are safe and secure.  We will continue to work with other partner landlords who have homes close to ours to share information and provide solutions, where needed. 

What should I do? 

Your safety is our top priority. You do not need to do anything. We are confident that our stock does not contain RAAC, and we will continue to survey properties and do any work necessary to ensure they are safe and secure.  

However, if you are concerned about any element of your property in relation to RAAC, or any other safety issue, please do get in touch with us so we can discuss and reassure you. If we do suspect that your property needs a survey, then we will be in touch with you directly to arrange further access.  

You can call us on 0345 260 2633 and ask to speak to your Housing Officer or a member of the Housing team. We are here to help.